ERT has been awarded the Tsunami Information Technology Modernization (TIM) Prototype Development Project. ERT will develop and operate a prototype system to demonstrate performance, capacity, and capability of the architecture proposed for next generation of NOAA’s Tsunami Warning System. ERT is one of two NOAALink prime contractors awarded this task which will culminate in a 24-hour Live Test Demonstration and a Preliminary Design Review in June 2013. The ultimate objective of the project is to consolidate two architecturally-diverse systems into a single system. This more easily maintainable single system will provide a foundation for future expansion to the current capabilities of the Tsunami Warning Centers (TWCs) Operations System (TOPS). The goals for the Tsunami IT Modernization project—to increase efficiency and productivity at the TWCs—will provide the TWCs with:
- common system architecture and software development environment, documentation and processes, and system for testing and training;
- a state-of-the-art processing software and user interfaces;
- technology improvements and standardization;
- the ability to ingest and process up to five times the current amount of sensor data; and
- a system that uses the AWIPS II architecture to reduce maintenance costs and leverages ongoing enhancements to that system.